Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Posters

I chose Peeling Off Labels by Joseph Wagner as the most effective poster on diversity. One of the main things I based my decision on was the ability of the poster to catch my eye and keep me interested. Peeling Off Labels has just enough color to catch a viewer’s eye, but not enough to make it overly busy. The way the page seems to peel off like a nutrition label gives a clear path for the viewer’s eye to follow. I was drawn in by the color and then I proceeded to read the “nutrition facts.” This poster successfully encourages me to look past the outside appearance of people and to value them for who they are on the inside. I feel that the least effective of the diversity posters was Embracing Diversity in University Residences because of its lack of color and originality.
I believe that all five cartoons take a stand for affirmative action. The first is the most light-hearted and seems to make a joke of the matter. Although the second, entitled Supreme Irony is also humorous, I think it attempts to make a clear statement. The third and fourth cartoons, by Thompson and Wilkinson seem to attack those that oppose affirmative action. The final cartoon simply makes a statement about how pricey getting into college already is. Although I was slightly angered by it, I chose Admissions by Signe Wilkinson to be the most effective poster. It acknowledges that affirmative action for minorities would be just one more unfair way to get into college. Much of this already takes place. I feel that Lester’s poster was least effective because of the fact that it did not provoke change.

1 comment:

  1. Transform any space in your home or office with art and photo wall murals from Murals Your Way. Choose from thousands of works of art, designs or photos. Get the perfect mural wallpaper in any size you need. We will print your wallpaper mural on your choice of our high quality materials. removable wall stickers

    ReplyDelete