Thursday, November 11, 2010

Advertisement Analysis

                I chose to look at a magazine advertisement for BMW. Apparently the advertisement was the beginning of an advertising brawl between the BMW and Audi marketing companies.
            This visual text contains both images and words. I feel that both are necessary to get the point across in this case. The visual text assumes that the viewer is familiar with cars. Granted that the BMW logo is at the bottom of the advertisement, it is not easily visible on the car, and therefore it is assumed that the viewer knows what a BMW looks like.
            I find the color scheme interesting. It seems classy, but the message the ad is sending is not. The car is in the foreground and the background is blurred as if none of it is important. The first thing my eyes are drawn to is the car and then the text.
            This ad leads me to research the awards that both car companies have won. It is a good marketing strategy to only mention these two particular awards. In reality, both companies have won numerous awards and have been recognized for various achievements with the design of their cars. I am also led to research the dispute between the two companies. I immediately scrolled down the page to see if Audi retaliated.
            Although the BMW ad is funny and rather entertaining, I’m not sure how much it would actually increase sales. Many people will find their banter tacky or cocky and will therefore avoid buying a BMW.

No comments:

Post a Comment